Resources for Octatrack MKI
- Octatrack OS 1.31 — Apr 24, 2019
OS 1.31 adds a screen saver for MKII machines. For more information, see the release notes.
Release notes Download
- Octatrack User Manual (English) — Oct 29, 2019
Gives in-depth knowledge about the Octatrack. Note that you need a pdf viewer, for example Adobe Reader, to read the document. (OS 1.30)
- Octatrack Quick Start (English) — Jan 1, 2013
The Octatrack Quick Start manual in English.
- Octatrack User Manual (JPN) — Jan 1, 2013
Japanese version of the Octatrack User Manual. Note that you need a pdf viewer, for example Adobe Reader, to read the document. (OS 1.25)
- Octatrack User Manual (French) — Jan 1, 2013
French version of the Octatrack User Manual. Note that you need a pdf viewer, for example Adobe Reader, to read the document. (OS 1.21)
- Octatrack User Manual (German) — Jan 1, 2013
German version of the Octatrack User Manual. Note that you need a pdf viewer, for example Adobe Reader, to read the document. (OS 1.21)
- Are your sound packs compatible with only your hardware or can I use them with hardware/software from other manufacturers?Our samples are standard WAV files and can be used by any hard/software that have the possibliity of playing back 16 bit 48khz mono audio (Rytm sound packs) or 24 bit 44.1khz stereo audio (Octatrack)
- Can I export a MIDI file to my machine?No. You can however record incoming MIDI notes using the Live Recording feature.
- Can I use any USB cable for my machine?Yes, any USB2 cable with A-B connectors will work.
- Can the Octatrack be controlled with a MIDI keyboard?The Octatrack features a thorough MIDI implementation. It is possible to play samples, trig tracks, initiate sampling and control Octatrack parameters from a MIDI keyboard. Read more about the MIDI implementation in the Octatrack User’s Manual.The manual can be downloaded from the Octatrack Downloads section.
- Does the Elektron sequencer offer pendulum, random or backwards modes?No.
- How can I put a delay and reverb on the same track on the Octatrack?By using a NEIGHBOR machine, you get two extra effect slots, one of which can be a delay or reverb.
- How do I obtain spare parts for my machine?Register a support case by logging in to elektron.se. Elektron support will help you set up a spare part order.
- How do the effects work on the Octatrack?Each track features two effect blocks. Various effects can be assigned to each block. If needed track 8 can be turned into a master track. The effects on the master track will affect all other tracks, plus any audio coming from the external inputs.
- How many patterns are there in an Octatrack project?There are 16 banks with 16 patterns each - a total of 256 patterns.
- How many tracks can the Octatrack handle?The Octatrack features 8 internal stereo tracks and 8 MIDI tracks. Several samples can be triggered within an internal track which is great for splicing together interesting loops. The MIDI tracks are ideal for controlling external, MIDI equipped, devices.
- I accidentally lost/formatted/ate my CF card, where can I get the factory content?The factory content is split into two parts, the Elektron content can be obtained by contact Elektron support via our support system, the Loopmasters content can be obtained by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org and supplying a proof of purchase for your Octatrack.
- I am a producer. What will the Octatrack offer me?With the Octatrack you will be able to treat samples in radical ways. If you do a lot of remix work you will appreciate functions like changing the melody of certain sections of a vocal sample without the sample going out of sync. The Octatrack will also let you transform samples to complete new sounds. It will be an ideal sound processor.
- I have a feature requestPlease e-mail email@example.com
- I have a problem, how do I get support?Use your account to log in to elektron.se and register a support case from the account pages.
- I play in a band and sometimes we need backing tracks. Can the Octatrack help us?Yes. Each of the eight stereo tracks can stream gigabyte-large samples. Despite the large size of the samples, they are, if you want them to, still subject to time stretch. This means it’s possible for their tempo to change if you change the tempo of the Octatrack. On top of this you can treat the samples with the Octatrack effects and sequencer tricks.
- I’m a DJ. How will the Octatrack be of use for me?Thanks to the easy real time sampling you can sample your turntable and instantly play back and affect the recorded loops with the Octatrack. The Octatrack can be regarded as a second turntable with the added feature of allowing for extensive sample manipulation.
- I’m a guitarist. Will the Octatrack be a suitable looper for me?Indeed. The Octatrack can function like a looper. The only difference is that it will be much more powerful than your average looping device. Dedicated looper machines will be implemented in coming OS updates.
- My machine is displaying ‘Battery Low’The CR 2450 battery in the machine needs to be replaced. All Machinedrum & Monomachine MKII units and the Octatrack use a battery holder - no soldering is required to replace the battery.
- The window covering the LCD screen seems to be scratched?Make sure you have removed the plastic film covering the LCD screen.
- What about MIDI sequencing using the Octatrack?The Octatrack features one of the most advanced hardware MIDI sequencers to date. The eight dedicated MIDI tracks host – among other things – assignable MIDI LFOs and customizable MIDI arpeggiators, allowing for both in-depth and experimental control of all relevant MIDI parameters. The MIDI tracks can, just like the internal tracks, have individual length and time signature settings. Using the Octatrack to control other gear can yield very interesting and musically rewarding results.
- What are the specifications of the Octatrack power supply?The output specification is 6 VDC, 3.5 A maximum, 43-60 Hz. The size of the output connector is 5.5×2.5 mm (DC plug, power at center). Input connector: IEC320-C8 (2 prong). An equivalent PSU is an AC to DC adapter, outputs 6-7 VDC, at least 2 A, preferably 3 A, into a 5.5×2.5 mm circular plug with power (+) at centre. Do not use a 3 prong (safety grounded) adapter as this may seriously lower the audio quality. The Octatrack and the MKII models of the Machinedrum and Monomachine use the same type of power supply.
- What is the function of the crossfader?All parameters of all tracks can be assigned to the crossfader. With clever parameter assignments you will be able to obtain really interesting and creative sample processing results.
- What is the Octatrack?It’s a sampler with special focus on real time sampling and audio manipulation. All audio handled by the Octatrack is completely elastic, samples and loops can be automatically time stretched to match the BPM of the sequencer. The pitch of samples and loops can also be changed without affecting the timing. Apart from the internal tracks handling samples, the Octatrack features a dedicated 8 track MIDI sequencer. This combination of internal tracks and MIDI tracks makes the Octatrack ideal as a central hub in any studio or live setup.
- What is the right power supply for my machine?All analog machines use Elektron PSU-3, while the Octatrack and MachinedrumUW MKII/Machinedrum MKII/Monomachine MKII uses PSU-2. PSU-2 and PSU-3 can be ordered from our webshop.
- What is the USB port there for?The USB port comes in hand when transferring samples or other data from your computer to the Compact Flash card of the Octatrack. You can of course use it for storing Octatrack data on your computer as well.
- What is the warranty of this product?3 year parts and labor. For more information about the warranty, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
- What kind of audio files do the Octatrack support?24 bit/44.1 kHz wav and aiff files, either in mono or in stereo.
- What type of screws is used for the rack mount kit?The screws the rack ears use are M3x6 with a Phillips or Pozidriv screwhead. Do not use longer screws and do not use Torx heads as you may easily damage the threading.
- What’s the difference between FLEX and STATIC machines?FLEX machines are loaded into RAM and can be accessed quicker by the machine, this is useful for sounds that are to be sliced or manipulated a lot. STATIC machines stream samples from the CF card and is useful for longer samples such as backing tracks or longer loops. A STATIC sample can be of any length, while a FLEX sample is limited to the size of the RAM (128mb)
- What’s the difference between trig mutes and sound mutes and which machine uses which type of mute?Trig Mutes will mute the triggers (notes) in the sequencer and will not mute the audio, any sound that is muted in this fashion will stop playing notes according to its parameters. Sound Mutes mute the actual sound output of the track, and will happen instantly. The Octatrack uses Sound Mutes while all other machines use Trig Mutes.
- What’s the maximum size CF card for the Octatrack?64GB.
- What’s the sample format for Analog Rytm / Octatrack / Machinedrum UW?The Rytm accepts 16 bit 48khz mono WAV samples, but will accept other samplerates and/or stereo (will be summed) files as well. The Octatrack accepts 16/24 bit stereo WAV/AIF samples and prefers 44.1khz sample rate. Although other sample rates are possible to use, it might not play back correctly on the device. The Machinedrum accepts 16 bit 44.1khz mono WAV samples.
- Where can I find the latest Octatrack OS?It’s found in the Octatrack Support section.
- Where can I get hold of the Octatrack manual?The latest version is available as a downloadable pdf in the Octatrack Support section.
- Which types of Compact Flash cards are supported by the Octatrack?Cards supporting UDMA and at least 133x (~20 Mb/s) for both reads and writes are compatible with the Octatrack. Cards must be FAT16 or FAT32 formatted, preferably FAT32. Up to 64 Gb cards are supported.
- If you can't find what you are looking for, you may login with your Elektron account and create a support ticket. If you don't have an account already you can create one in the next step.
Create a ticket
Licence to use files on this page: You may download and utilize all files on this page for personal use. You may not edit or otherwise modify any material on this page; or redistribute material from this page.